Friday, July 1, 2016

One Generous Tip Turned my Night Around

If you have been reading my blogs (or just my last one at least), you know that I am incredibly stressed with work and school right now. I worked a split today and my friend had said she wanted to work tonight to make money. I offered my night shift and told her how swamped I am with homework but she ended up saying she didn't want to take it because she thought it would be dead (AKA she would make no money). I was irritated but let it go. Today is also Canada day (as I am in Canada) and we all sordove expected it to be dead because people usually go away for the long weekend. It was pretty busy! I got a 10 top and three additional tables (which felt like death).

My party was so incredibly demanding and slightly rude when I was not able to bring them their bottomless salads and bread ASAP. I wish some customers would understand that they are not the servers only table. I was trying my best to get everything out because my other smaller tables were trying to pay and get out of there.

Throughout their dinner, the party started to ease up a little and they began being more polite and patient. I think they started understanding that I wasn't being lazy. I was actually very busy and doing the best I could. Their bill came to about $150 and it was on one bill. I had completed his transaction and had seen that he tipped me 25 dollars. Not the best but not the worst. I felt a bit defeated, hoping I would have gotten more.

I had left the table a mess for a few minutes while I tended to some new tables when the host came up to me and handed me a twenty dollar bill. I asked her where it was from and she told me it was from the party. They tipped me 30% (don't fail me now, mental math). I wanted to cry.

I have been so unbelievably stressed these last few days with work and school piling up. I have taken it out on my boyfriend and family and I've just felt so defeated. I am a poor student trying to pay for school and I was so grateful that they gave me such a huge tip.

I don't really know if there is a moral to the story...

- just keep pushing through
- do your best and don't beat yourself up
- love and be kind to yourself
- refill salads 10 times even when you want to scream

I guess all of those work.

I'd say enjoy your long weekend but I am sure you are working every day just like me ;)

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment