Monday, June 13, 2016

Tuition, Rent and Double Shifts

Hello readers (hopefully?)!


I have decided to start blogging about my experiences as a university student trying to put myself through school by serving tables. I got the motivation to start blogging after having a nightmare of a shift (I contemplated leaving half way through from the stress) and turned to the internet to read about other servers horror stories.

A little history about my restaurant career...

I had started off as a host in a busy restaurant when I was 17 or 18 years old and had began serving tables 2 years later. 2 years down the road, I continue to serve while living away at school and now, while I have returned home for the summer. I had gotten this serving job because my best friend was a server there and assured me that they would hire me for the summer (it was so hard to find a serving job that would only take me for 4 months) so I could not decline. I have just finished my third year in university and while I continue to do summer school, I am serving and volunteering. 

When my friend told me she could get me the job, she warned me that it is incredibly stressful, knowing that I have always struggled with severe stress and anxiety while serving. I assured her that it was probably no different than the other places I have served and that I would probably be used to it.

I could not be more wrong.

So here I am, almost half way through the summer. I have 2 and a half more months at this restaurant and I wonder if I will make it to the end.

If you are still reading (bless you), I feel like it is because you can connect in some way. This blog will be about my stressors, horror stories, successes and other general stories surrounding life in the restaurant in an attempt to maintain my sanity. 

- A 

No comments:

Post a Comment