Saturday, July 8, 2017

This is why I write it down

'the customer is always right'

This is the golden rule while working in the food industry, or even other industries such as retail but this golden rule makes any server want to rip his/her hair out in the middle of the rush. 

So there are some servers who don't write anything down and just remember everything. Literally everything. My friend served a party of 15 the other night with no notepad. I on the other hand need to write everything down, including water. Embarrassing I know but during the rush I get so stressed out I can't remember the last 2 minutes because my brain is in survival mode and my memory shuts down. It's a thing. Look it up if you don't believe it.

I'm getting sidetracked here..

So I was pretty busy and had a handful of needy/cranky tables. This always makes me feel weeded as I start over-trying to please my guests (because I can't deal with conflict). I had a woman (who I knew  wouldn't tip well) order a wrap with a side salad. I wrote it down and actually remember the conversation. The food comes out and she pipes up "I ordered fries with my wrap"

**Cue the eye roll that makes my eyeballs fall out.**

 I knew she didn't and I politely said "oh really? I was so sure you had a salad with it". The wrap comes with fries as a default so when someone orders it I say "would you like fries as the side?" and she flat out said no, she wanted a garden salad.

She said "why would I order salad with it when the meals came with unlimited salad"

** eye roll eye roll eye roll**

... maybe because your meal is the cheapest and doesn't include the all you can eat salad so you ate the unlimited salads from the others at your table even though that's not allowed.

She started getting worked up about it and I had other tables I needed to deal with so I decided that this was not worth pursuing.

But my god did it eat me up inside that I knew I was right and I let her get away with thinking I made the mistake. I brought out the side of fries and apologized. 

She tipped 8%.

xoxo

- A


No comments:

Post a Comment